Sunday, July 23, 2006

Ho Chi Minh City



Staying across from the National Archives 2 on Le Duan Street. Its been mostly cloudy and rains each afternoon in terrific monsoon downpours. The city continues to evolve slowly with each new building project and sleek new storefront, but I'm still meeting the same doormen and concierges in the same downtown hotels that I met five years ago. On Friday at the Archives, I was told that the Public Works records from 1954-75 that were unavailable last summer are still unavailable and will be so for another two to three years because the archives is moving locations across the street and preparing new guides - more obscure collections like Public Works sit at the bottom of their to-do lists. When I suggested I might look at records using the old finding aid before they are moved, the staff looked at me with the same look archival staff use everywhere in the world to suggest such a request was not even remotely in the ballpark of possibility.

Team Scuppy, however, has been having a blast! The pool on the 18th floor at Sofitel gives us a great view of downtown Saigon, too. The pic here was taken just after one of the terrific downpours this morning. In the distance I've noted some of the sites of downtown Saigon.

3 Comments:

Blogger tomdbiggs said...

Hi david, I made a blog, but on my own site. It sounds like you are having fun there in Siagon. Keep sending out the images and text. We'll keep reading and commenting.

Buy the way-usual request-see if you find the latest release of REVIT software and any stuff that goes with it such as funiture, and other blocks I can use in my models.

10:29 AM  
Blogger tomdbiggs said...

Also, I saw how cute Xuan looks in the photos, and came to the realization that WE BETTER GET TOGETHER SOON. She's growing up too fast, and is rapidly leaving babyhood to toddlerhood.

I hope you all like the adventure there, and are able to share some fun family moments together. Good luck with the research,David, though it seems you've hit a little beurocratic snag. "Snags" are sometimes blessings, as they make you have to try alternative approaches that lead you on paths you otherwise wouldn't have taken.

...I'll talk you you later.

10:33 AM  
Blogger David Biggs said...

Thanks Tom! I'll try to remember to look for Revit in Saigon. Pls send me an email at webmail in a few weeks and even send a list of what you want. I can then take it with me when I hit the shops in early September.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home